Announcing CAMP HEAD STRONG!
Sleep Away Camp for Children, Adolescents and Teens with Hydrocephalus
A summer camp just for kids with HYDROCEPHALUS! Yes!
The Hydrocephalus Association is proud to announce Brainy Camps’ new camp for children living with hydrocephalus. Brainy Camps is a subsidiary of Children’s National Health System in Washington, DC.
Staffed with medical professionals working in neurological care, nursing, psychology, and physical therapy from Children’s National Health System, Camp Head Strong offers a safe environment where kids can have fun while building confidence, independence, and self esteem. Camp staff understand the challenges of living with hydrocephalus as well as the co-morbidities that impact our children’s lives, like epilepsy and cerebral palsy. Ready to support our kids, the staff of Brainy Camps welcomes campers this summer to have fun in a traditional sleep-away camp experience.
- 4-day, 3-night camp for 10 – 17 year olds diagnosed with hydrocephalus.
- Educational opportunities with medical experts in the field of hydrocephalus and neurological care who also provide full time medical supervision.
- Support groups to address issues particular to children with hydrocephalus.
- Typical camp experience reducing the social stigma and feelings of isolation associated with the condition.
- Network of peers who share the condition and create new friendships.
- Counselors-in-Training from our own hydrocephalus community! Teens living with hydrocephalus who have also attended Brainy Camps over the years will be assisting with the camp.
CAMP ACTIVITIES available to kids…
Arts and crafts | Clowning and circus | Hiking | Music | Yoga | Archery | Horseback riding | Animal care | Acting | Zip line | Soccer | Outdoor education | Basketball | Go-carts | Dance | Kickball | Creative writing | Trampoline | Tennis | Swimming | Baseball | Gymnastics | Volleyball | Canoeing | Trapeze
Cost is $600, including a $200 non-refundable registration feel. Need-based scholarships are available. Counselors-In-Training (CITS) attend at a reduced rate.
August 6 – 9, 2017 NEW DATE!
High View, West Virginia
“I was always scared to send my daughter to sleep-away camp. I was scared she would go into shunt failure or have a seizure and she would not have access to medical professionals quickly enough. Then I learned about Brainy Camps. My daughter has attended the epilepsy camp for the last two years. I knew she was safe with a Children’s neurologist and other medical staff on hand. She finally got to have the summer camp experience I had wanted her to have her whole life while I had complete peace of mind. I’m so excited she’ll get to attend the new hydrocephalus camp this summer and make friends with other kids living with hydrocephalus so she can build a network of peers she can reach out to who understand what she is going through, especially when times get tough.”
– Amanda, mom of a teen living with hydrocephalus
For more information, call Susan or Sandy at (202) 476-3181 or (202) 476-5142. To learn more and register, visit www.brainycamps.com. REGISTER TODAY!