Symptoms of shunt malfunction can vary from person to person. It’s important to be aware of what your symptoms were prior to shunt implantation, so that you or your caregiver is able to alert your physician if symptoms return after shunt implantation. Returning symptoms may be a sign of an obstructed or malfunctioning shunt.
Symptoms of shunt failure in normal pressure hydrocephalus:
- Difficulty walking/gait disturbances
- Cognitive challenges/mild dementia
- Urinary urgency or incontinence
- Swelling along shunt track
- Fever (sign of shunt failure or infection)
- Redness along the shunt tract (sign of shunt failure or infection)