by Jennifer Bechard, Support Group Liaison
This September, for Hydrocephalus Awareness Month, the Hydrocephalus Association (HA) invites you to celebrate and honor the estimated one million Americans touched by hydrocephalus. As a community, we can do this by raising awareness about hydrocephalus either in our own circles or to the larger networks of which we are a part. This month is also a great time for us to challenge ourselves to find new ways to get involved in raising awareness and in advocacy activities.
Are you visiting us for the first time? Welcome! Whether you were brought here out of personal curiosity or because you or a loved one is touched by hydrocephalus, please learn more about hydrocephalus and the Hydrocephalus Association while you’re here on our website and join us by taking part in one or more of the actions below!
Our TOP 20 Ways to Make an Impact
Here’s a list of 20 things you can do to raise awareness and make a difference throughout the month of September. We hope this inspires you to think of even more!
- Participate in our #HAM2019 Social Media Challenge! All it takes are a few simple steps to raise awareness about hydrocephalus!
- Become informed and stay connected. Sign up for e-mail alerts from HA – news, research updates, advocacy opportunities and education and support information.
- Make a donation to the Hydrocephalus Association. Click here.
- Stay up-to-date through social media. Visit the Hydrocephalus Association on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Don’t forget to “Like” us and “Follow” us!
- Change your personal Facebook banner to a Hydrocephalus Awareness Month banner. On our HA Facebook page, there will be a photo album with banners you can choose from to download to your computer and then upload as your personal Facebook banner. Change them throughout the month…or throughout the year!
- Share statistics about hydrocephalus with your family and friends. We will be posting statistics and facts on our social media channels throughout the month that you can share.
- Watch and share these videos on our YouTube page.
- Remember HA in your will and join the Legacy Society, our planned giving program. To learn more, click here.
- Learn, share, come together! Find a support group in your community! Click here. If there isn’t one, think of starting one. Contact Jenn at email@example.com to find out how.
- Are you between the ages of 12 to 25? Join our Teens Take Charge (TTC) program. Click here.
- Make a difference one step at a time with the Hydrocephalus Association by joining a WALK in your area.To see the schedule, click here. If there is not a WALK nearby, join HA’s virtual WALK.
- Visit your Congressional representative in your local community. Look for our upcoming blog on tips for advocating for hydrocephalus with elected officials.
- Distribute brochures with important information about hydrocephalus to your local hospital, neurosurgery office, nursing home, doctor’s office., or senior citizens center. If you need brochures, call us at 888-598-3789 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request materials.
- Give a Boozle Bear to someone you love, or explore giving one to a local NICU or PICU where it can be gifted to the family of a child with hydrocephalus.
- Share your story! We are building a library of stories to share within our community as well as with the media and on the web. Would you like to share how hydrocephalus has affected you? Email us at email@example.com and we can help you put your journey into words.
The fight does not stop here nor does it stop today! Join us on Facebook and tell us other things you have done this month to raise awareness of hydrocephalus.