This Thursday hydrocephalus advocates from around the country will join with over 300 patient advocates from other organizations to raise one loud an unified voice in support of increased funding for medical research through NIH and the Department of Defense. The timing couldn’t be better as elected officials will be determining a path forward for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 appropriations bills [FY 2016 begins on October 1] during the September session.
YOU CAN PARTICIPATE!
This is also a National Day of Action. We are asking our #hydrocephalus community to stand with us on Thursday by raising your voice through social media as well as by emailing, calling, and writing your elected official. Here are things you can do and the tools to do them.
- First, find your elected official! This will allow you to find their email and social media handles.
- Post a selfie on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram holding this #IRallyFor sign. When you post, use #RallyMedRes and #Hydrocephalus and tag @HydroAssoc and your elected official.
- Email your elected official.
- Post on Facebook. Be sure to “like” and follow the Rally at www.facebook.com/RallyMedRes. Here are some sample posts.
- I am someone/I have a loved one who is affected by #hydrocephalus. That’s why federal support of medical research is so important to me. Congress should invest in the NIH for the health and economic security of our nation, so join me and @HydroAssoc in taking action today. http://bit.ly/RallyMedResHydrocephalus
- We have much to lose and nothing to gain by federal decision making that stalls U.S. medical progress in #hydrocephalus research and other areas. Tell Congress: We Need Cures, Not Cuts. http://bit.ly/RallyMedResHydrocephalus
- Medical research is important to me because [insert personal reason here]. That’s why I’m joining the @HydroAssoc to rally for medical research and urge Congress invest in the NIH! Learn more at http://bit.ly/RallyMedResHydrocephalus
- Hundreds of medical research advocates nationwide are raising their voices as part of the Rally for Medical Research. Tell your legislators today how important medical research and innovation is to the hydrocephalus community! #RallyMedRes http://bit.ly/RallyMedResHydrocephalus
- Federally-funded medical research is crucial to developing new treatments and technologies for #hydrocephalus. Ask your members of Congress to prioritize research funding and help reduce the impact of hydrocephalus moving forward! #RallyMedRes http://bit.ly/RallyMedResHydrocephalus
- Tweet. Here are some sample tweets.
- Urge Congress to prioritize research funding, protect future of medical innovation for #hydrocephalus #HAM2015 @HydroAssoc http://bit.ly/RallyMedResHydrocephalus
- Tell Congress to prioritize medical research funding at NIH & DoD to help develop new #hydrocephalus treatments #HAM2015 @HydroAssoc http://bit.ly/RallyMedResHydrocephalus
- [insert elected official Twitter handle] Please invest in the NIH for the health & economic security of our nation. #RallyMedRes @HydroAssoc
- Every $1 of NIH funding generates about $2.21 in local economic growth. #RallyMedRes @HydroAssoc
- Write your elected official.
- Call your elected official. Here is a script you can use.
Hello, my name is [FIRST] _____ [LAST] _____. I am from [YOUR CITY & STATE] and am calling to support the hundreds of people in Washington, D.C. today who are attending the Rally for Medical Research Hill Day.
I urge Representative or Senator [LAST NAME OF REPRESENTATIVE] to support the nation’s investment in medical research.
To that end, please increase funding for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) so that we do not jeopardize the progress we have made in saving and improving the lives of millions of Americans. There are numerous unfunded hydrocephalus research applications right now.
As someone who has been touched by hydrocephalus, we cannot allow flat funding or worse, additional budget cuts, to undermine progress in medical research at a time when we are on the cusp of exciting new advances in hydrocephalus research.
I also urge Representative or Senator [LAST NAME OF REPRESENTATIVE] to support the funding of Hydrocephalus research and treatment at the Department of Defense.
Keep hydrocephalus as a condition for which research funding is available through the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP) within the Department of Defense (DoD).
Encourage the DoD to increase funding for hydrocephalus research in the National Defense Authorization Act and include $10 million in dedicated funding for hydrocephalus research in the Defense Appropriations bill.
I strongly ask Representative [LAST NAME OF REPRESENTATIVE] to co-sponsor the Advancing Research for Hydrocephalus Act of 2015 (H.R. 2313), introduced by Rep. Chris Smith, and attend the briefing on this bill on September 30th, 2015.
Thank you for your time. I would like to close by encouraging Representative or Senator [LAST NAME OF REPRESENTATIVE] to join the Congressional Pediatric and Adult Hydrocephalus Caucus and the Congressional Neuroscience Caucus.
You can find other great ideas and sample emails and letters in the Rally for Medical Research Grassroots Toolkit. We hope you will consider joining us on this National Day of Action, even if you cannot be on Capitol Hill or meeting with your local Congressional team.